Impact on Approach
Take a minute to think about what this means for brands, marketing and insight generation…
- Since our conscious selves do not have a very good grasp on why we do things - asking people why they buy brands (in a focus groups or online questionnaire) is not giving us a very complete picture.
- Traditional research techniques (such as rating scales) that require thinking (engage the thinking, pre-frontal cortex) are not going to be good measures of what really matters – emotion.
- Marketers now have a broader range of levers to achieve business objectives. It is not just about communicating facts. The context of sharing information can have as much influence on the outcome as the actual information itself.
- Brand building and brand triggering at the Moment of Truth are not the same thing. Brand can and should be strategically integrated along the whole path to purchase.
- We need to re-think our research toolbox to take in this new reality. There is no magic bullet (don't believe the neuro-hype) but new technology together with best practice from before brings us much closer to fully understanding consumers than we have ever been before.